Sunday, December 8, 2013

The End Is Near

After a long week, this weekend was like a breath of fresh air... or should I just say semi-lazy air?

Here are some things that happened this past week:

As you can tell, they were a little crowded. Goodbye sweeties!
All of my pigs (all 97 of them) left this week...which was both a relief (means I can leave for home right after my one and only final) and kind of a depressing event. I've said this before, but it's bittersweet to see animals go, even when you want them to leave for selfish reasons. But I'm needed at home, so I guess it was time to say goodbye to the piggies. 

I had a presentation to give for my Toxicology class and let me just say that if you really want to make Med students heads spin, start telling them about Mycotoxin Regulations in animal feed. I shouldn't still get a little thrill from that, but oh man Med students are sooo smug and sure of themselves...and being able to show them how much they don't know/never realized about Agriculture is exciting. OK I'm a little evil...admitting there's a problem is the first step though right?

The Animal & Food Science Grad Students had a Career Panel which involved 5 professionals from all walks of life/career choices coming and answering our questions. They were all fantastic and truly admirable people, from professors to private industry to state government, and the message I carried home with me was have faith that what will happen will happen, and you will know the right opportunity when it smacks you in the face. Not exactly news, but as I'm coming up on the end of my college career...this is a statement I have been trying to hang onto (and it was nice to hear the same thoughts from somebody other than myself). 

Because I am leaving for home next week I have been frantically trying to get all my lab work done before I leave. If you wanna know why research and lab work takes so long it's because it is soooooo miserable that you have to stretch it out. Trust me, sprinting through it is not endearing it to me either. I'm not sure what is going to happen with my Mom so I want to make sure I can stay home as long as I am needed.

And last but not least, I pieced an entire quilt top together yesterday. I desperately want to post a picture but I can't...until after Christmas :) It was the most calming day ever. Which led to the laziest day I have had in months...aka laying on the couch watching Hallmark movies. And I mean simply laying on the couch watching Hallmark movies. 


I've had a lot of time to think today and while I won't bore you with the many things that ran through my head here are a few of the most important ones:

1. How has Christmas become the time where we buy and buy and buy and buy? I've seen commercial after commercial tempting people into buying the absolute most number of presents they can for their family members. The more the better, and the more expensive, even better. Where has the spirit of giving gone? And I don't mean the giving of numerous expensive gifts...I mean gifts that are truly from the heart. Last year I told my family I wanted them to donate money to some charities in my name instead of giving me presents. I still ended up with some presents, but the true spirit of Christmas isn't in how much money we spend, but how much we help our fellow man and world. 

2. This is my last semester of classes. Ever. Where will life take me from here? This is a daunting question and one I know will work out however it is supposed to...but it still makes my throat close up and my heart squeeze. 

3. We have become a very selfish society. Wrapped up in what we have or don't have, how many likes we get on Facebook, how many people read our stories or don't read our stories. I thought long and hard this week about why I started blogging and why I made a second Facebook page for the blog. Heaven knows it hasn't been for the popularity. What I realized was it was mainly so I wouldn't overwhelm my Facebook friends with a bunch of posts all the time and so I had a place to stream my thoughts. Although why I felt the need to send them out into cyberspace still escapes me...but I can't be sorry I have started because it will give me a way to look back years from now and see how things have changed. 

4. News people are way too dire. "Has the worst passed yet? Find out at 11." C'mon, we got a little freezing rain. Do not make it sound like the world is coming to a quick and frosty death after this pitiful "storm". There are places in far worse shape than here. 

5. I have become far too domesticated. It's almost as scary as looking for a job. 

As usual some of this did not come out as eloquently as it was written in my head. If only I could invent a technology that could capture thoughts and images and make them visible to others, then many of my problems would be solved, and my dreams would all become hit movies. As it is, I think I will just go prepare for my last week of class. Ever. Sorry I had to repeat that. It doesn't feel real yet. 

As for the evil part? This can help for sure right?



No comments:

Post a Comment